Blagdon pH Adjuster for Alkaline Ponds
Use for: Decreasing pH levels in ponds which have a tested pH of above 8.5
Blagdon pH Adjusters are uniquely formulated so that it only adjust pH gradually. A rapid pH change can be more lethal than the existing pH problem. The unique buffer formula also means even if an excess of adjuster is added to the pond, the pH will not fall outside the safe limits for the fish.
Measure the pH of the pond water using a Blagdon Test Kit, and consult the below information for advice. If corrective treatment is required then it must be carried out over a number of days as suggested below.
5.0 = dangerous - dose the pond with pH adjuster for acid ponds everyday for 5 days
6.0 = poor - dose the pond with pH adjuster for acid ponds everyday for 3 days
6.5 = acceptable - no treatment necessary
7.5 = ideal - no treatment necessary
8.5 = acceptable - no treatment necessary
9.0 = poor - dose the pond with pH adjuster for alkaline ponds everyday for 3 days
10.0 = dangerous - dose the pond with pH adjuster for alkaline ponds everyday for 5 days
- Calculate the volume of your pond using our online calculator
- 1 level measure of Blagdon pH Adjusters treats 285 litres (63 gals) of water
- Calculate the dose needed for your pond and stir the correct number of measures in a bucket of hot water, stir well and allow to dissolve
- Disperse the liquid (hot or cold) over the surface of the water, the water may go milky but this is temporary and perfectly safe.
- Repeat as advised over the following days
- After you have completed the full treatment re-test the pH in the pond. In the majority of cases the pH should now lie within the safe area. However, if not, it is safe to treat the pond again.
It is not normally necessary to frequently adjust the pH of the water in the pond. It is important to always trace the underlying causes of any pH problems and rectify them (i.e. Very alkaline concrete leaching into the pond from surrounding structures etc.). It is quite safe however to carry out up to 10 full courses of treatment without the fish coming to any harm.