Why does this happen and how do I prevent it?
Blanket Weed is a form of filamentous algae which will grow to carpet the surface of the pond and areas of flow (e.g. waterfalls). There are several factors that can cause excessive growth of Blanket Weed and although an effective treatment will remove algae the causative factors must be addressed to prevent further outbreaks.
Major influencing factors are :
- Excess sunlight so you may benefit from adding floating plants – e.g. Lily’s and water soldier – to cover up to 50% of the pond surface area or use planting around the pond to create areas of shade across your pond. You do not want to completely shade the pond as this will discourage good plant growth, however finding a balance could reduce the recurrence of Blanket Weed
- More nutrients than your existing pond plants can use which stimulates algae growth. Nutrient levels can be controlled by encouraging plenty of healthy fast growing pond plants and regularly removing waste and sludge from the pond.
Always use Sludge buster after Algae control products to safely break down and remove dead algae
Other areas to consider to help prevent further outbreaks and aid treatment:
- Test water regularly (high nitrate levels will encourage algal blooms)
- Keeping plants healthy by feeding with Flora Boost
- Using preventative products like Brilliant Pond Tablets, Sludge Buster or Bioactive Sludge Control once a month to steadily break down waste-
If Blanket Weed is becoming a frustrating and common problem in your pond you could consider fitting a Blagdon Electronic Blanket Weed Controller which helps remove a key Blanket Weed growth nutrient.
What treatment should I use?
Blagdon Clean Pond Pods - available in stores March 2020
Use for easy dose
Use with any of the above
Blagdon Flora Boost
Use to safely break down and remove dead algae