Why does this happen and how do I prevent it?
Green water (or ‘Pea Soup’) is caused by an algal bloom suspended in the pond water. There are several factors that can cause excessive growth of algae and although a Green Away treatment will remove algae the causative factors must be addressed to prevent further outbreaks.
Major influencing factors are :
- Excess sunlight so you may benefit from adding floating plants – e.g. Lilies and water soldier – to cover up to 50% of the pond surface area or use planting around the pond to create areas of shade across your pond. You do not want to completely shade the pond as this will discourage good plant growth, however finding a balance could reduce the recurrence of Blanket Weed
- More nutrients than your existing pond plants can use which stimulates algae growth. Nutrient levels can be controlled by encouraging plenty of healthy fast growing pond plants and regularly removing waste and sludge from the pond.
Always use Sludge buster after Algae control products to safely break down and remove dead algae.
Other areas to consider to help prevent further outbreaks and aid treatment:
- Test water regularly (high nitrate levels will encourage algal blooms)
- Keeping plants healthy by feeding with Flora Boost
- Using preventative products like Clean Pond Pods once a month to steadily break down waste.
If green water is becoming a frustrating and common problem in your pond you could consider using a UV Clarifier and filter in your pond. You will need a pond pump to circulate the water in the pond past a UV light which will kill the algae. The dead algae then clumps together and settles out in the pond or is removed by the mechanical media in the filter.
What treatment should I use?
Blagdon Extract of Barley Straw - Only Available in store until August 2020
Use with any of the above
Blagdon Clean Pond Pods - available in stores March 2020