Nitrasafe Nitrate Remover
Use for: Reducing nitrate levels in any freshwater aquarium
- Test the nitrate level of your aquarium with an Easy Test Nitrate Kit.
- Place the sachet (see table right) into a filter, i.e. external canister filter, air powered box filter or internal power filter. If there is no appropriate filter in your aquarium, put the sachet in a position in the aquarium where water will circulate through the sachet (by the filter outlet). If the table shows that you will require more than one sachet to reduce the level of nitrate to an acceptable level, you may either add further sachets of Nitrasafe or alternatively follow step 3 below and recharge the sachet.
- Check the nitrate level in your aquarium every 24 hours. If the nitrate level is above the target level of 50mg per litre, then recharge the sachet as per the instructions under the ""more information"" tab and return sachet to the aquarium.
- Check the nitrate level of your aquarium every 24 hours, and continue to recharge until the nitrate level is below 50mg per litre. When your aquarium has reached the acceptable level, leave the Nitrasafe sachet in your filter or aquarium to continue to mop up Nitrate.
- Continue to monitor the aquarium nitrate levels fortnightly. If the nitrate level exceedsf 50mg per litre, then remove the sachet, recharge as per instructions and return to the aquarium
Nitrasafe cannot be used in marine aquaria. Although it can be used to pre-treat water prior to mixing with marine salt.
To recharge Nitrasafe, following the instruction below carefully:
- Dissolve 100g of Aqualibrium First Aid Salt Additive or common salt into a litre of water
- Run the resulting salt solution through the Nitrasafe sachet very slowly over a period of 1 hour.
- Repeat the run through of water over the Nitrasafe sachet using 2 litres of fresh water, this rinses the Nitrasafe ready for re-use. This should be run continuously through the Nitrasafe sachet over 1 hour
(note: the minimum level to which the nitrate is brought down will depend on how thoroughly the recharging process is carried out. Each sachet may be recharged many times)